5410 Spring Garden Rd.
Citadel Hill is a hill that is a National Historic Site in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Four fortifications have been constructed on Citadel Hill since 1749, and were referred to as Fort George—but only the third fort (built between 1794 and 1800) was officially named Fort George. General Orders of October 20, 1798, ordered it named after Prince Edward’s father, King George III. The first two and the fourth and current fort, were officially called the Halifax Citadel. The last is a concrete star fort.
The Citadel is the fortified summit of Citadel Hill. The hill was first fortified in 1749, the year that the English founded the town of Halifax. Those fortifications were successively rebuilt to defend the town from various enemies. Construction and leveling have lowered the summit by ten to twelve metres. While never attacked, the Citadel was long the keystone to defence of the strategically important Halifax Harbour and its Royal Navy Dockyard.
Today, Parks Canada operates the site as the Halifax Citadel National Historic Site of Canada and has restored the fort to its appearance when built in the Victorian era.